ROCK OR METAL?

Feb 20

hi guys
i was wondering the whole time about whether papa roach is rock or metal band.
it's a problem to me to distinguish between the two.
what's the difference between rock,hard rock,rock and roll,metal,heavy metal,death metal and nu metal?
thanx in advance...i really appreciate your help.

Replies to This Posting

1. RE: ROCK OR METAL?

Feb 23

papa roach is without a doubt rock. heres the difference between the genres though:

rock, hard rock, and rock and roll are all the same thing, there no difference between any of them.

metal, heavy metal, death metal are all the same as well.

nu metal is rap rock. its rock except the singer is rapping.
    Music=Life

2. RE: ROCK OR METAL?

Feb 23

Hey i'm not sure. To be honest i'de say metal man. When i think rock, i think elvis. An not to mention Papa Roach's older nu metal stuff. I'de say metal though.
    -LauZ

3. RE: ROCK OR METAL?

Feb 23

you can sure say that they are the same, but every genre of them has a typical structure in its songs and they were played totally different....
    each style has its own features (i dont kno if you can say it like that...)
    in metal you have a lot of palm mute rythm lines with single note melodies, while in rockmusic you have open chords ....rock´n´roll is more played on the thin strings (on the guitar) in the background you often have a contra bass ...
    if you take days of war for example its nothing else than melodic metal, betweeen angels and insects the whole record is more nu metal....

to classify papa roach is very hard because they take parts of each genre in the rock business , sometimes its like metal,sometimes it sounds a bit like skatepunk, so cross over is a good description...

but I think to see the differences between the genres its neccessary to play an instrument....
    because the way they are playedmake the differences...

4. RE: ROCK OR METAL?

Feb 23

Johnny Guitar Creeps wrote:
    you can sure say that they are the same, but every genre of them has a typical structure in its songs and they were played totally different....
    each style has its own features (i dont kno if you can say it like that...)
    in metal you have a lot of palm mute rythm lines with single note melodies, while in rockmusic you have open chords ....rock´n´roll is more played on the thin strings (on the guitar) in the background you often have a contra bass ...
    if you take days of war for example its nothing else than melodic metal, betweeen angels and insects the whole record is more nu metal....

to classify papa roach is very hard because they take parts of each genre in the rock business , sometimes its like metal,sometimes it sounds a bit like skatepunk, so cross over is a good description...

but I think to see the differences between the genres its neccessary to play an instrument....
    because the way they are playedmake the differences...

Fuckin Agreed dude

-LauZ

5. RE: ROCK OR METAL?

Feb 23

maybe you compare some songs...
    take twisted sister - I wanna rock or what you don´t know for hard rock... or better ac/dc

rock i would say nickelback or even HIM

rock and roll you maybe take roll over beethoven by ELO

metal you could say maybe metallica,
    heavy metal take The Number of the Beast by Iron Maiden or a slow tru metal song warriors of the world by manowar

Melodic Metal you can say Sonata Arctica - Wolf&raven

Nu Metal for example between angels and insectsrecord or linkin park

Industrial metal isforexample rammstein or manson

death metalmaybe children of bodom

6. RE: ROCK OR METAL?

Feb 23

but rockmusic is in all of that;)
    Stay tuned \m/

7. RE: ROCK OR METAL?

Feb 23

Hmmm they used to be Nu Metal. But that was 10 years ago. Also they have changed since then. So maybe..... Uld Metal?
    '
    '
    Can't be the same. Won't ever be the same!
    I've F*cked Sh*t up again!

8. RE: ROCK OR METAL?

Feb 23

...Rock & Roll is the same as Hard Rock and Rock? What? Rock & Roll is stuff like Elvis Presley.

With that said, I'd say Papa Roach was Metal for the first album, drifted to Rock for LoveHate and GAWM, went a bit Punk Rock for Paramour Sessions then Pop Rock for Metamorphosis.

So yeah, I'd say rock.

And I would love to see a Infest-era styled song.

9. RE: ROCK OR METAL?

Feb 23

I'd say METAL \m/
    RIP Jimmy

10. RE: ROCK OR METAL?

Feb 24

Doesn't matter; they're part of that genre called Awesome.

Photobucket

11. RE: ROCK OR METAL?

Feb 24

themudsharkinterview wrote:

i have to agree with you
    they make awesome music, that's the most important thing to know...

there's a lot of stuff on the radio that i wouldn't dare to call "music" and i'm not talking about the advertisement -.-
    --------------------------------
    I hurt myself today, to see if I still feel.
    I focus on the pain, the only thing that's real...

12. RE: ROCK OR METAL?

Feb 24

so you guys mean that the way of playing on the instruments and singing show the genre of the song so i could list these songs as follow:
    i devise my own demise-Hard Rock
    Broken Home-Nu Metal
    No More Secrets-Rock & Roll
    The World Around You-Altern Rock

13. RE: ROCK OR METAL?

Feb 25

right now? alt rock

14. RE: ROCK OR METAL?

Feb 26

this is a complicated thread kyde....lol
    there are so many genres and sub-genres in 'heavy' music...
    and most are different for simple little things...

[i for one simply prefer anything i can head bang to xDDD]

'hard rock' is different then 'rock' or 'rock and roll' because its heavier....by adding some screaming and shit

same with the metal....

metal,heavy metal and death metal are different.

'metal' is just harder then 'rock', because its made mostly of screams and very few words are actually sung

'heavy metal' is a bit harder then 'metal' because no words are sung, all are screamed [but this would bring up the difference in 'heavy metal' and 'screamo' which is in the guitar and rhythms...]

'death metal' is just crazy ass shit... xD

and 'nu-metal' is as stated...just screaming and rapping mixed together

i would say pr is most likely rock or hard rock....
    but it would depend on the person youre asking...
    some crazy ass metal head may think they arent really that heavy at all
    where as some little catholic school girl may get scared and run away....
    lol

-Red x

15. RE: ROCK OR METAL?

Mar 06

here,linkin park left nu metal to get into punk rock,they became bored lol!

16. RE: ROCK OR METAL?

Mar 06

I think Rock...

17. RE: ROCK OR METAL?

Mar 06

Papa Roach's newer stuff is hard rock with punk influences where Infest and in some ways lovehatetragedy is nu metal with punk influences.

Rock vs. metal genre is hard to define but metal can be defined as a genre with more: single note riffs, heavier/more often palmuting, faster picking and a lot more.

The difference between rock and rock'n'roll and death metal and so on is easier to tell.

- Rock is a common word for all rock genres and metal is a part of rock.

- Hard rock is more aggressive and heavier than things you tend to call rock.

- Rock'n'roll is blues (r'n'b=rythm and blues) based.

- Metal is the name for just everything in the metal genre.

- Heavy metal is just the full name of what is called metal.

- Death metal is a genre which has its roots in thrash metal, which is metal played fast with a lot of tremolo picking and fast chord changes. Death metal has these things in general but it also has guteral vocals (growls) and blast beats.

- Nu metal is harder to descripe but the riffs are more groovy and powerchord based. The vocals can be very different but the lyrics are often emotional (not emo) and the songs seldom consist any solos.

18. RE: ROCK OR METAL?

Mar 08

Johnny Guitar Creeps wrote:
    Melodic Metal you can say Sonata Arctica - Wolf&raven

death metalmaybe children of bodom

Do you like Sonata and Children Of Bodom? :)

On Topic:

For me Papa Roach is hard rock with some things taken from genres like metal, punk rock, alternative rock and styles like that, and please, don't forget their Nu metal beginnings :)

Byez!

Scars Argentina - Papa Roach Argentinian Comunity http://scars-arg.foroes.net

19. RE: ROCK OR METAL?

Mar 08

Ya I wasnt thinking so much on my first comment, Id say that right now theyre hard rock and alternative rock. Thats bassically what theyve been doing since GAWM. So Id say rock.
    Music=Life

20. RE: ROCK OR METAL?

Mar 09

themudsharkinterview wrote:

I gotta agree with that!!

Mile by mile we are farther apart.
    Now its one empty bottle and two broken hearts.
    Night after night we are falling apart.
    Now its two broken bottle and four emptys hearts.

Newsletter Signup